Two Private Capital Markets Association of Canada (PCMA) members have been appointed to be part of the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC)’s Small and Medium Enterprises Committee (SMEC).
Robert Cook of the Canadian Securities Exchange and Robert Trager of the Vault Mortgage Corporation will join the 13-member strong committee that will be tasked to advise the commission staff on matters related to small and medium enterprises (SMEs), including the development of policies and practices to address issues affecting SMEs.
The committee will also be assigned to establish and suggest inputs on regulatory approaches to capital raising in the exempt market. These approaches tap on the development of OSC’s enhanced compliance program and the impact of the new prospectus exemptions on SMEs.
The SMEC will meet approximately four times annually with members serving a one-year term. It will be chaired by Jo-Anne Matear from the OSC. The newly appointed members aside from Cook and Trager are as follows:
- Sherri Altshuler, Aird & Berlis LLP
- Tim Babcock, TSX Venture Exchange
- Elaine Ellingham, Ellingham Consulting Ltd.
- Michael Hanley, Torkin Manes LLP
- Dayle Hogg, Aerie
- Peter Irwin, former managing director, CIBC World Markets)
- Andrea Johnson, Dentons LLP
- Bradley Tagieff, BDO Canada LLP
- Mark Trachuk Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
- Peter Waugh, Mercana Growth Partners
“The mandate of the OSC is to provide protection to investors from unfair, improper or fraudulent practices and to foster fair and efficient capital markets and confidence in the capital markets,” OSC said in a statement.